Total Number of Live Training Hours Needed: 105
In short, these training hours must consist of 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics, 35 hours of Fusion, and then 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics again as you do the certification process. During this accumulation of hours, the following topics must be covered: Inner Smile, Six Healing Sounds, Microcosmic Orbit, and Fusion 1. These training hours can come from any combination of live retreats, workshops, private lessons, or weekly classes that are taught by Senior Instructors or Instructors. Taped instruction is not applicable. For purposes of counting hours, summer retreat weeks are counted as 35 hours and weekend workshops are counted as 14 hours. Detailed steps for navigating the certification process are listed below.
Steps to become an Associate Instructor:
1. Prerequisite Courses: First take 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics and 35 hours of Fusion.
2. Training Resume: As you accumulate hours, please keep a record (either handwritten or electronic spreadsheet) of the classes taken. Each entry of the record should list:
a) the name of the class,
b) the date the class was taken,
c) the instructor who taught the class,
d) the number of hours of training for the class.
3. 1 year practice time: After a span of 1 year of practice time, you may begin the certification process.
4. Letter of Intention: Write a letter of intention, explaining why you want to become an instructor (1 page).
5. Letter of Recommendation: Get a letter of recommendation from a Healing Tao instructor that says that you would make a good instructor (1 page).
6. Initiate Certification Process: Begin taking the remaining 35 hours of Healing Tao Basics. As you near the end of these hours, please submit your letter of intention, letter of recommendation, and training record to a Senior Instructor. Schedule a test with the Senior Instructor.
7. Certification Test: Pay a $50 testing fee and take the test. The testing fee goes to the instructors proctoring the test. The test is an oral examination. The test must be administered by (at least) one Senior Instructor and one other Instructor.
8. Completion of Test: If you do not pass the test, you will be given direction as to what you need to fix, and when you can test again. Typically the wait time will be 3-6 months, but this ultimately depends on the decision of the instructors proctoring the test. If you do pass the test, you will then need to pay an additional $25 to the HTIA for additional processing. You will receive an official HTIA certificate for Associate Instructor. It will be mailed to your home address if not completed by the time you leave your respective class.
9. Sign an Ethics form: The ethics form lists the ethical and moral behavior that the HTIA expects its instructors to follow in regard to how instructors interact with students. We request that you sign this upon completion of testing. Instructors are expected to act in a professional manner, both in teaching and in conduct, and to avoid any kind of physical, verbal, or sexual abuse in their teacher-student interactions.
10. Join HTIA: To finalize your membership into the HTIA, i.e. Healing Tao Instructors Association, we ask that you go online to www.healing-tao.org to sign up and start paying your yearly ongoing dues to the HTIA (currently $45 ).
We expect all Associate Instructors to continue developing themselves! In particular, we expect that within two years all Associate Instructors will upgrade their classification to Instructor. At the very least, we expect continuing education of at least 14 hours every two years (one weekend workshop). If continuing education requirements are not met, you may be dropped off the active list of instructors.
Information about the Test:
You will be expected to demonstrate your knowledge of the Inner Smile meditation, the Six Healing Sounds seated qigong practice, and the Microcosmic Orbit meditation. You will also be expected to give some guided meditations.
- With the Inner Smile meditation, you should be precise about the 3 lines through the body. Order, sequencing, and ability to convey a “felt quality” to those you are instructing are all crucial elements of your meditation.
- With the Six Healing Sounds seated qigong, the ability to correctly instruct the movements, as well as the general knowledge of the five elements will be tested on.
- With the Microcosmic Orbit meditation, you should be able to identify the points of the microcosmic orbit, and identify them in proper order for the meditation. Note: There are many different versions of the Microcosmic Orbit meditation. For testing purposes, the instructors are looking for a replication of the original M. Chia microcosmic orbit meditation.
Due to length of time in courses, not everything about these topics can be covered purely through the coursework. It is expected that you read and study the relevant material in the books of M. Chia, and be prepared to answer questions not necessarily taught specifically in your coursework. Questions that may arise in testing are not limited to what was covered in your coursework.
Your studies for this test should include the books:
- Taoist Ways to Transform Stress Into Vitality
- Healing Light of the Tao (Chapters 1-7)**
Total Number of Live Training Hours Needed: 210
In short, these training hours must consist of the 105 hours for Associate Instructor: 70 hours of Healing Tao Basics and 35 hours of Fusion; and then another 105 hours. Upon completion of the 210 hours, you need to have taken: Healing Tao Basics, Fusion 1-3, Iron Shirt 1, Tai Chi 1, and Healing Love. Of these 210 hours, 70 hours must be taken with M. Chia. In total, these 210 training hours can come from any combination of live retreats, workshops, private lessons, or weekly classes that are taught by Senior Instructors or Instructors. Taped instruction is not applicable. For purposes of counting hours, summer retreat weeks are counted as 35 hours and weekend workshops are counted as 14 hours. Detailed steps for navigating the certification process are listed below.
Steps to become an Instructor:
If you are already an Associate Instructor, you need only submit a copy of your training record meeting the above requirements, and you will receive an automatic upgrade from the HTIA to Instructor. No further testing is needed. Please pay a $50 upgrade fee to the HTIA. You will receive an official HTIA certificate for Instructor. It will be mailed to your home address if not completed by the time you leave your respective class.
If you are NOT already an Associate Instructor, simply complete the 210 hours and follow the instructions for becoming an Associate Instructor. Make sure to alert those involved in the testing of your additional background and desire to test for Instructor directly. If your retreat record is mistakenly deficient, you will be given the option to test for Associate Instructor and then later upgrade when you have fulfilled the necessary requirements.
We expect all Instructors to continue developing themselves! In particular, we wish you train to get additional certifications which will allow you to teach more than the Microcosmic Orbit Set. At the very least, we expect continuing education of at least 14 hours every two years (one weekend workshop). If continuing education requirements are not met, you may be dropped off the active list of instructors. However, we encourage you to actively work toward acquiring additional certifications.
- To teach anything beyond the Microcosmic Orbit Set, the Instructor must pass an upgrade certification test for each desired area.
- Only Instructors are eligible to take an upgrade certification test. Associate Instructors must become Instructors first.
- The Instructor must have been an active dues-paying member of the HTIA for the previous year (late payments accepted).
- Each upgrade certification is a separate test. There is a $50 testing fee for taking the test. At least one Senior Instructor must be present in the test. If the test is passed, another $25 will need to be submitted to the HTIA for putting the information into the system. You will receive an official HTIA certificate for your new upgrade. It will be mailed to your home address if not completed by the time you leave your respective class.
- For people who have become Instructors (which gives you approval to teach the Microcosmic Orbit set), the usual next step is to work toward getting upgrade certifications in Iron Shirt 1, Tai Chi 1, and Tao Yin. These are the only certification upgrades that have no additional prerequisites.
- See the section on Iron Shirt 1 for more details on this upgrade.
- To be eligible to test for Fusion 1 or Healing Love, an applicant must already be certified in either Iron Shirt 1 or Tai Chi 1. Moreover, one must have already been an Instructor for a minimum of one year prior to this testing; in particular, one can not test for either Fusion 1 or Healing Love in the same year as becoming an Instructor.
- To be eligible to test for Iron Shirt 2 or Iron Shirt 3, an applicant must already be certified in Iron Shirt 1. A minimum of one year must pass after Iron Shirt 1 certification before being eligible to test for Iron Shirt 2 or Iron Shirt 3. Prior to testing, an additional 35 hours of Iron Shirt must be accumulated.